I hope you are all safe and well in these unprecedented times.
I just want to update you with regard to sessions for the Music Centre for this term. The number of students who have confirmed their attendance are very low – 36. As a result, there are not any viable ensembles that are proceedable with the planned MC online rehearsals. To give the students an ensemble experience (however different that may be online) the decision has been taken for IOW students to join Southampton groups for this term. As some of you will be aware string players have already been invited to join Southampton groups.
During the term we will be looking at increasing numbers with the view to Music Centre groups running independently by the Spring term if we are still unable to meet face to face.
There are a few exceptions:
1. Ukulele group. Southampton does not have a ukulele group and with only 2 players signed up, rehearsals are temporarily stopped.
2. Percussion group – due to the nature of this group and with no access to instruments this group will temporarily stop
3. Jazz Band – the Southampton group is currently meeting face to face. Therefore, this group will temporarily stop. We are exploring possibilities of live streaming so IOW players may also access the sessions. We will keep you posted.
4. Senior Recorders – Southampton does not have any recorder groups but all players have been allocated to a wind band.
5. Pied Pipers – Maggie Courtney will be keeping in touch with the players.
6. Theory group will continue once we can be face to face.
7. Medina Voices – as members of this group do not complete an enrolment form, we have no contact details. If anyone knows of any singers in this group who would like to join our community choir Bella Voce, please ask them to get in touch with me. They rehearse on Monday’s 4.30 – 5.30.
Separate emails will be sent to players inviting them to attend a Southampton ensemble. These sessions will take place using Google Meet. You will receive a link to each week’s session which you can copy into your web browser (Meet works best going through Chrome). Alternatively, if you are using a mobile device you will need to download the free Google Meet app first. I have attached a sheet giving a few pointers about using Meet.
If you do not receive an invitation, then please do get in touch. We have assigned students to the Southampton group we feel best meets their standard of playing. If you child attends a session and finds it either too easy or difficult please get in contact and we can move them to another group.
My colleague Lynn Beckwith will be in contact with everyone shortly asking you all to complete a new enrolment form for this year.
If you have any questions, please do get in contact.
Please look out for the email inviting your child to attend a Southampton group and we look forward to seeing everyone online soon.