Are you a current or ex-Music Centre Student looking to purchase a musical instrument? Would you like some help with funding?
The Kumar Fund may be able to help!
The Robert Kumar fund is managed by the Friends’ Association, and provides financial assistance to all present and past Music Centre students who are looking to purchase musical instruments.
Who can apply?
- Any Music Centre student who has been enrolled and attending for a minimum of 1 year
- The grant is not means-tested
- Students who have attended Music Centre in the past and require a new instrument for University / Further Education courses will also be considered.
What assistance is available?
- A grant of up to £350 per student, per instrument is available. The grant amount will be decided on a case-by-case basis by the Kumar Committee. Additional funding is available in exceptional circumstances.
- Grants towards any instrument are considered, with an emphasis on instruments which can be used in Music Centre groups.
How do I apply?
- Please fill in the Kumar Fund Donation Request form to start your application.
- You will need a written reference / report from your instrumental music teacher providing the following details:
- How long you’ve been learning
- Your progress so far (Grades / Exams)
- How frequently you receive music lessons
- You will need to provide a written summary of your request, providing the following details:
- What instrument(s) you play
- What instrument you’re looking to purchase
- The cost of the instrument you’re looking to purchase.
- Where you’re looking to purchase the instrument from
- How long you’ve been attending Music Centre
- Your teachers name
- Any additional information (such as upcoming exams, universities, instrument loss/damage etc)
How long does it take?
- Your application will be forwarded to the Kumar Committee who will typically make a decision in a few weeks. Exact timescales will be communicated once your application is received. All applications are confidential and will only be discussed between the Kumar Committee and the Music Centre Friends’ Association Committee.
Are there any additional commitments if i’m successful?
- For current Music Centre students you will, in most cases, be required to continue attending music centre for a minimum of 1 academic year. If this won’t be possible, please include a covering note in your application to explain why.
- Ex-music centre students may be asked to support specific concerts and Music Centre events, however these are not usually a requirement of obtaining a donation.
What other help is available?
- You may be able to purchase instruments through your school, removing the VAT. Please contact your school directly to request this. (This can be used in combination with a Kumar grant to reduce the price even further)
- The Music Centre Friends’ Association offer financial assistance to Music Centre enrolment fees. Please contact them directly to request this at – Note that proof of limited income may be required for this.