There are a number of changes taking place at Music Centre next year. Please take a few minutes to read a summary below to avoid any surprises in September.
Changes to Session Times:
- Theory Group will now take place 12:30 to 13:30 each week
- Senior Recorder Group will now take place 09:30 to 10:00 each week
- Junior Recorder Group will now take place 10:00 to 11:00 each morning
Changes to Teachers:
- We are pleased to welcome Tess Kullander who will be assisting Christine Axford with the Foundation Wind Band.
- We are pleased to welcome Ruth Allen who will be taking over from Ginny Kelly as conductor of the Music Centre Wind Band.
- Music Centre String Orchestra will now be led by Maggie Courtney.
- Matt Courtney takes on the role of Music Centre Manager and will be available every session in and around the canteen area. If you have any questions or concerns regarding Music Centre Matt will be happy to assist.
Updates to Groups:
- Music Centre String Orchestra will be invited to join the IW Youth Orchestra for the first half of each rehearsal session. Parts will be specially arranged to be appropriate for their level of skill. They will return to their own rehearsal session after break. Please note that Youth Orchestra repertoire level and other YO rehearsal arrangements are unchanged.
- Youth Choir is no longer offered free of charge. Students must complete an enrolment form and pay the annual fee to participate in this group.
- From time to time students may be moved/shared between the senior groups at the discretion of the conductors and this will always be discussed with students beforehand. This helps us balance the groups and ensure we’re able to maintain standards in all ensembles.
- Enrolment fees remain unchanged at £60, however we are no longer able to accept part-payment. Full payment must be sent to the IW Music Hub (as detailed on the Enrolment Form) at the beginning of the academic year. Please do not bring cheques or cash with you on a Saturday morning as we are no longer able to accept payment at Medina. Students joining part-way through the year may be eligible for reduced rates at the discretion of the Music Centre Manager. Families on limited income may continue to ask the Friends’ Association for financial assistance with fees – please contact the Chairman of the Friends’ Association.
- You can now join the Friends’ Association for £1 online. Payment is accepted by PayPal and you’ll receive copies of all our committee meeting minutes as well as invitations to our AGM. Please see our website for details. Joining the Friends’ Association helps us to engage with parents and students and to identify areas for improvement at Music Centre each year.
- The IW Music Centre is now managed and funded by the IW Music Hub in conjunction with the Southampton Music Hub. The Hubs receive funding directly from the Arts Council and are actively involved in all aspects of music education throughout Southampton and the Isle of Wight.
- The IW Youth Symphony Orchestra and IW Youth Wind Band will be participating in a joint rehearsal course and concert with the Southampton Youth Orchestra and Youth Wind Band at the beginning of the 2017 Easter Holidays. Keep an eye on the website for details.
- There will be two Christmas concerts – scheduled for the 3rd and 10th of December at Medina Theatre. Please keep an eye on the website for full details.